Friday, March 29, 2013

a little DIY


 Before we moved into our house we had zero furniture to our name. We left Hawaii with a couple of suitcases that contained just about everything we owned. It was nice not having to worry about buying furniture or decorating our house for a time. But we moved from dream land & with the help of very generous people we were able to fill up the empty spaces where a couch, bed and dresser should go.

After getting sick of eating dinner on our white couch every night or worried that our couch was not going to be white much longer if we kept eating dinner on it, I bought the above table and chairs off craigslist. With the help of Veronica Mars episodes playing back to back on my computer( this took a long time!) I did those chairs a favor and made them look brand new with the easiest re upholstery method of all time. It also doesn't hurt that the navy polka dots look pretty good with my green kitchen.

 YouTube "upholster kitchen chairs".  Plenty of tutorials will pop up demonstrating the step by step instructions on how to cover your chairs with new fabric. The lady who filmed the tutorial I used had her TV blaring in the background and I still figured it out without hearing half the things she was saying. This project is THAT easy. Usually the people in the tutorial suggest using a staple gun, but I didn't want to buy one so I used push pins to hold the fabric in the back. It takes more time, but it is so much cheaper  and the result will be the exact same.

my first DIY home improvement project was a success. maybe I really am crafty...

2 comments:

  1. This gives me hope that I can someday refurbish something and make it look this cute! Great job.

    PS I didn't know you had a blog! I am officially your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You can! it is so easy. I appreciate you checking out & following my blog!

      Delete